Tube amp

About a month ago now, with the help of my friend Erik I finished the Firefly tube amp project. About 30% of the parts came from stuff that me and Erik had laying around, ( Knobs, pots, the case, metal scraps for the tube holders.) The power and output transformers were ordered online by Erik and I believe cost not more then $12 for the 2 of them. The power caps came from some weird tube modules that I picked up at the surplus store. They seemed to work just fine dispite their age. The hammered grey paint did wonders for the gutted aluminum case which I also picked up at the surplus store. I decided to try mounting the tubes sideways in order to keep everything inside the case. Turned out wonderful. Heat is not an issue at all, everything runs very cool. The botton of the case was pre-drilled for the old patch bay that was there before. That helped when deciding to mount things inside that case. The lid was also predrilled but after painting it the holes look kind of cool.


The Gibson style knobs look awesome. Left is the volume and the rightone is resonance.

The hardest part was soldering the tube sockets, but nothing impossible.

Things seemed to have layed out very well inside.

The amp sounds great, nice and clean at low volumes , smooth and distorted cranked way up. The output is not too high but does make for a decent practice amp or a preamp for warming that digital sound.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.